Founder: Select Home Care Portland
Portland State University, School of Business: MBA, Master of Business Administration
Portland State University: BSME, Mechanical Engineering
Founder, Select Home Care Portland
Scott has been featured in the following publications for his in-home care expertise:
Scott Witt began his journey into the home care business in 2009, as a result of a conversation with a long-time friend. Both Scott and his friend were employed in high-tech jobs and believed they were making a difference in their respective fields.
However, a discussion about what they would be doing if they were not in their current jobs led Scott to explore the in-home care industry. Despite having multiple family members in healthcare, Scott had been the odd-duck engineer in the family.
Born and raised in Nebraska, Scott spent much of his childhood with his great-grandmother and loved hearing the incredible stories and history she shared. He worked at a local meat packing plant with his grandmother during his childhood summers, as well as working on ranches and hayfields throughout middle and high school.
After joining the Air Force following high school and serving during the first Gulf War, he transitioned into the Washington Air National Guard and then the Portland Air National Guard while completing his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (BSME).
Scott later embarked on a career at Sequent Computer Systems in Beaverton, OR where he obtained his Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. Following various technical positions, account management, and operations management roles, IBM purchased Sequent, and Scott continued working there for several more years.
It was during this time that the pivotal conversation with his friend took place, setting Scott on the path to starting his in-home care business.
Scott had no idea that through the years, Select Home Care Portland would care for Holocaust survivors, decorated WWII veterans, and a pilot of the infamous Tuskegee Airmen!
Scott cherishes the opportunity to listen as his clients share their life experiences and in particular, build connections with veterans.
Scott is married and has two grown children, one pursuing a master’s degree in international business and globalization in England, while the other is finishing a business degree at Oregon State University with plans to join the family business.
Recognition and Awards
- Recognition Award from Employer Support of the Guard & Reserve (ESGR)
- Seven Seals Award 2023: The Seven Seals Award recognizes extraordinary companies that have gone above and beyond to support their guard or reserve members or their families during periods of deployment and beyond.
Leadership & Community Involvement
- Scott is an Air Force Veteran who served during the First Gulf War. He subsequently went into the Washington Air National Guard followed by the Portland Air National Guard.
- Scott is the Deputy director of employer outreach for the Oregon Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). ESGR, a Department of Defense office, was established in 1972 to promote cooperation and understanding between Reserve Component Service members and their civilian employers and to assist in the resolution of conflicts arising from an employee’s military commitment.
- Scott is a hospice volunteer for a local Portland, Oregon hospice company. Scott performs veteran pinning ceremonies to honor the service of veterans. Scott is honored to continue his service to veterans and in particular enjoys spending time and swapping stories with the local heroes he meets through his volunteer work.
- Through Scott and his wife Michelle’s efforts, Select Home Care Portland collected over 600 books and toys in 2022 for local children for the Great Toy Drive.
Scott is a member of the following professional associations and organizations.
- Metropolitan Senior Network (MSN)
- Senior Provider Information Network (SPIN)
- Every County Marketing Exchange (ECME)
- Alzheimer’s Association of Oregon and SW Washington
- Parkinson’s Resources of Oregon
- Westside Referral Network